Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Close Call

My friends father is a lawyer and has been in Dallas this past week working on a court case, however, each night he has been finished with his work in time to take his daughter to dinner. Last night my friend invited my roomate and me along. We are all living together next year, and she was eager to have us finally meet her dad. Her dad's business friend recommended that we try a restaurant on Lower Greenville, called Terilli's. I love all kinds of food, especially Italian, so I was excited to try a restaurant I had not been to before. Dinner was lovely.

This morning, I was awakened by a text from my friend, which said, "Terilli's burned down." I first thought that she was kidding, because it did not make any sense to me how that could have happened. I mean we were just there.

I got up and searched The Dallas Morning News website for "Greenville Avenue Fire." I was shocked and was in utter disbelieve that this event had occurred. After all, we were there last night and we began dinner at 8 o'clock, so we were there well until 10 o'clock. The following thoughts immediately rushed through my mind: How could this disaster have happened in such a short amount of time? How we were lucky enough to miss being part of it?

I know that it is often said that one learns lessons best from experience. That I believe to be true, because it has happened to me in the past. On the other hand, missing an experience like this one and having it be such a close call in retrospect I believe reinforced a very important life lesson to me. Do not take things for granted, because you never know what could happen.

It is ironic to me that this happened when it did, because my previous blog post from yesterday touched on the same idea, but in a different light.

Link to the article in The Dallas Morning News:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/030210dnmetgreenvillefire.16a353d7a.html

No comments:

Post a Comment