Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tradition


What makes tradition so powerful? Many people see tradition as a way to guide there life and a set of customs to live by. If not viewed as being this substantial in one's life, it is common that tradition is still a key factor in one's decision-making process. Then there are people that are very against tradition, let's call them radicals or rebels. What causes people to behave in one manner or another. Particularly, what causes extreme cases on one end of the spectrum versus people that are more moderate and fall relatively in the middle of the two?

In my family, tradition is definitely seen as something of value. Although my family has encouraged me to make decisions for myself and venture onto my own path, I have been raised with a set of core values that my family believes in strongly.

Tradition can be interpreted in many ways, and there really is no wrong or right answer to the question of what is tradition. Tradition can be whatever one makes of it, and it can even be one's tradition to be non-traditional, as complex as that may sound. Although we see depicted in many Christmas movies, the traditional Christmas dinner of Turkey and related fixings, that could be entirely opposite of a family's traditions. One could think what another believes is tradition to be crazy, because they have their own unique traditions.

One tradition that I think is very unique is to have heirloom jewelry in one's family. My family does not really do this as much, but I think a really cool tradition is to pass down a wedding ring from one generation to the next. Traditions such as one's like these could cause individuals to behave in a certain manner. For example in the movie The Blind Side (and in reality) the Touhy family all attended Ole Miss for college. Although not born into the family, Michael Oher (the adopted son) decided to go to Ole Miss, because he said "that is where my family goes to school."

There are so many traditions and ways to interpret them... it really is really interesting to think about!

No comments:

Post a Comment