Monday, April 19, 2010

How do you define "responsibility" in advertising?

How do you define "responsibility" in advertising?

When Dr. Griffin gave us this blog assignment in class last Tuesday, I was rather perplexed of how I would answer this question. I had some form of an idea in my mind, but I am still struggling to put my thoughts into words. I guess here's what I can offer up:

To be responsible in the advertising industry, one must (in most cases) place moral value in front of their desires for monetary gain. There are a lot of ways that agencies can choose to advertise in an irresponsible manner that will send products flying off of the shelves. These irresponsible techniques are usually easier ideas to come up with as well as an easier route to pleasing the client. The real challenge for the agency is to get that same outcome, but achieve it in a responsible manner.

Ideally, responsible advertising should be advertising that one would be able to show any viewer without causing them any offense. Responsible advertising should be truthful and not mislead the consumer. I believe that it may be hard for some in the advertising industry to create responsible advertising, because it can just be harder to come up with a great "responsible" idea. I think that the Dove Beauty Campaign, from Ogilvy & Mather's Toronto office, is an excellent example of advertising done responsibly (see image above).

I would like to conclude with the statement that it takes talent to be great at advertising as well as being responsible with what you advertise.

No comments:

Post a Comment