Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I realized I was wrong

Some people may think that this is about the craziest realization.
I am the first person to get a "Thank You" note out on every occasion. I find that when one (particularly myself) has personalized stationary, it motivates one to use one's stationary... in my case all of the time. I live in a town home right behind Snider Plaza in Dallas. There are four connected town homes, and at one end of the complex there is a row of four matching mailboxes, labeled A through D, respectively corresponding to our units. For the longest time, I had no idea that I could leave letters to be taken by the mailman in our box. I believed that the box served only as a depository for incoming mail. I religiously went to the post office in Hughes Trigg every time I had to mail a letter or package. One day when getting my mail, I realized that there was a small compartment marked "Outgoing Mail." After seeing that, it was quite obvious to me that I no longer had to walk to Hughes Trigg when I needed to mail a letter.

It gets better. I start putting letters into the "Outgoing Mail" compartment all of the time. I start to notice that they aren't getting picked up as often as the mailman visits our town house. I think he must not see the letters there, and that I am just must be crazy... until two days ago.

I go out to drop a "Thank You" note into the outbox, and my other roommate is out there putting a letter in as well. As I turn to go back inside after depositing my letter, I see her put the red flag up on the mailbox. I stop and ask her why she is doing that. It turns out that that little red flag is not a decoration... that is how the mailman knows there is outgoing mail in the box. Now I know why my other letters were sitting in there for so long!

To go back to what I initially said... some people may think this is about the craziest realization. On the other hand, at least I am admitting what I was wrong about. Some people would be too scared to do that at the risk of looking silly or dumb. There is no need to feel that way, because it is almost guaranteed someone else in the world still thinks they are right about the same thing. They may come to their realization soon but then again maybe they never will. At least I did, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment