Sunday, February 28, 2010

Worst Fear

What is your worst fear, and why are you afraid of what it is that you fear?

Personally, my worst fear is being in an airplane and having it just free fall to my death. I am not sure how this would happen. It must have to occur with the engines just stopping or with a gigantic malfunction. Although very unlikely, it is still possible. I think that I developed this fear, because of the fact that I hate when planes hit bumps and feel like they are dropping suddenly.

I find it interesting to look at what others are feared of. I asked my roommate what her worst fears are and she responded by saying, "Drowning and Rottweilers." I asked her why and told me that when she was five years old, a Rottweiler pounced on top of her and knocked her over. She ended up lying on the ground with the dog on top of her. She says she thought she was going to die, until her dad came to her rescue and snatched the dog off from on top of her. When I asked her why she was afraid of drowning, she responded by saying, "I heard it's really painful." I then asked her how she would know that, because she cannot talk to someone that has drowned because they are now dead. She told me that the experience of the powerful crashing of waves at the beach left her with a feeling of helplessness. The fact that she felt powerless was very traumatizing.

Although we all have our unique fears, I believe that one fear that would be amongst the most common is the fear of being alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment