Monday, February 22, 2010

Perceptions vs. Actuality


Since I have been at SMU, I have learned even more than I thought I could that things aren't always what they seem to be on the outside. SMU is a perfect example of this.

Many people in the north refer to SMU as either "Southern Millionaire's University" or "Southern Methodist Country Club." I was the one upon graduation that got the "really?" looks from my classmates as I tried to explain that there was more to SMU than just a manicured lawn and sorority girls prancing around in high heels. To be completely honest, those were partially things that sparked my initial attraction to SMU. I mean, who wouldn't want to go to a gorgeous school in the heart of a great city, like Dallas?

After being a student at SMU for over a year and a half, I can say with all of my heart that SMU is SO MUCH MORE than those things. I am involved in many other things on campus other than just my sorority, and I have a broad group of friends which definitely extends beyond my sorority sisters. Although Greek life is important to me, one does not have to "go Greek" to have an equally rewarding experience as mine while attending SMU.

I am very impressed by the quality of education that I am receiving at SMU, as well as the availability and generosity that the faculty has with their time. I honestly feel that I have changed at SMU for the better, and that every experience is really just what one makes of it!








No comments:

Post a Comment