Sunday, February 14, 2010

Superbowl 2010



The advertisement spot that I would like to examine from the Superbowl of 2010 is one of Bridgestone Tire's spots. As we know, Bridgestone Tires sponsored the Superbowl's halftime show this year, and through that received a couple of commercial spots. The particular Bridgestone advertisement that I would like to focus on is titled Bridgestone: Whale of a Tale. The genre of this particular spot is "advertisement," and I feel that it encompasses two definite examples of vertical intertextuality within two different cinema films. First of all, this spot definitely jogs my memory of the movie "Free Willy." In particular, the scene when they are trying to get the whale, "Willy" back to the ocean before it is too late. The emotions that the characters in the commercial embody reflect emotions very similar to those in the movie.

Another much more current intertextual connection that I made was between this advertisement, and the recent hit movie "The Hangover." In this movie, the characters go to Las Vegas and end up in some ridiculous circumstances. One of these circumstances being that they wake up in their hotel suite at Caesar's Palace with a tiger in their bathroom. The Bridgestone advertisement reminded me of this when the driver of the car says "Now that... was a bachelor party." This happens right after the whale is released out of their back seat/trunk of their car into the ocean.

A tertiary connection that I have drawn from this advertisement is when I hear people quoting lines from the movie, "The Hangover." I feel like with the popularity the movie has had within my age group, it is very common to hear people quoting various lines from the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment